Write a report on Newton’s discovery of the binomial series. Start by giving the statement of the binomial series in Newton’s notation (see the epistola prior on page 285 of 
or page 402 of ). Explain why Newton’s version in equivalent to Theorem 17 on page
807. Then read Newton’s epistola posterior (page 287 in  or page 404 in ) and explain the patterns that Newton discovered in the areas under the curves y = (1−x2) n/2
Show how he was able to guess the areas under the remaining curves and how he verified
his answers. Finally, explain how these discoveries led to the binomial series. The books
by Edwards  and Katz  contain commentaries on Newton’s letters.
1. C.H. Edwards, The Historical Development of the Calculus (New York: SpringerVerlag, 1979), pp. 178-187. e-book is available on the assignment material.
2. John Fauvel and Jeremy Gray, eds., The History of Mathematics: A reader (London:
MacMillan Press, 1987). e-book is available through UHWO library.
3. Viktor Katz, A History of Mathematics: An Introduction (New York: HarperCollins, 1993), pp.463-466.
4. D. J. Struik, ed., A Sourcebook in Mathematics, 1200-1800 (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1969). e-book is available through UHWO library
Write a report on Newton’s discovery of the binomial series. Start by giving the statement of the binomial series in Newton’s notation (see the epistola prior on page 285 of